Sunday 17 June 2012

England vs. Sweden


After I showed off my superior 筷子 skills everyone began trying
to figure out the proper way to hold the chopsticks. I even had a
Taiwanese person comment me on my chopstick skills.
My first time watching a proper football match, yes football not soccer, was just the other night. If you're saying "You're first proper football match!?" look it's not my fault the US doesn't breed football tradition like most of Europe does and with an English roommate it is inevitable that I would be pulled into the culture. The games are being aired in Poland and Moscow which are both 7 hours behind Taiwan, meaning we are watching most of these games at 2:45am. The bars are open for the specific purpose of airing these football games and they draw quite a large crowd. The bars are priced at an average "western" price for a bar. A beer costing around 150-200NT ~4.50-6USD, but there is a way around that!
Another beautiful thing about Taiwan is that every corner is adorned with either a 7-11 or a Family Mart (basically another 7-11) and you can purchase food for 50NT and 4 large beers for about 200NT.
There are many more England supporters in Taiwan than I would have expected and they knew most of the England football songs as well. It began to rub off on me and next thing I knew I'm singing "England, England, ENGLAND!" England pulled out an awesome victory against Sweden that night and might be secured for playoffs....GO ENGLAND!

No comments:

Post a Comment