Thursday 26 July 2012

Taiwanese Nightlife: Various Shows and Concerts

When you go to a club in Taiwan you're not just getting the typical hot mess of drunken men searching for young and supple women to take home. While you do have plenty of that at the clubs here every club has a few shows on top of all the alcohol, short skirts, and crazy haired Asian men. The following are various videos I have taken at a variety of clubs and nightshows.

LuvStock
These first few selections are from LuvStock, a hippie festival that took place in 台中 Taichung. As the name suggests there was plenty of alcohol, special treats, and men with longer hair than most of the women there. The first few bands were mainly local English speaking bands playing mediocre music, but this is just to warm up the crowd and wait until everyone is sufficiently intoxicated.
The two person band had a nice beat and bass line and the women's voice provided for an enjoyable listening experience. The final band that came on before the real beats came on featured four guys who had a nice stage presence and played a compilation of popular rock songs that pumped up the crowd and gave passage to a variety of drugs marinating in everyone's bodies to take effect.


Clearly, quite a few members of the crowd were already enjoying their time and the real show hadn't even begun yet. The main stage closed down and everyone migrated towards the stage where Bass Woman and Keyboard Man were previously playing.

A quick tangent: After the last band finished playing the combination of alcohol, cookies, dancing, eardrum shattering music, and masses of people left me with the urge to walk around and catch some fresh air and what better place to do so than at the outdoor bar! I walk over the bar to order my criminally cheap mixed drink where I ran into Justin, a typical Bro from South Carolina only interested in finding his next 小姐 if you will. His short, yet built stature, gelled hair, douchebag attitude, and confidence would supply him with all the right tools to accomplish his endeavors. Being the amiable guy I am we strike up a conversation and he immediately takes a liking to me. Before I even entered the picture he was already in the process of intoxicating two "fragile flowers." I'm not exactly sure how fragile they actually were although apparently one of them never really drank before, so why not start with tequila right? "Dude, of course bro," is what Justin would say. So being in the mental state I was I decided to play along with his "game." The three of them take their shots of tequila that was followed by the typical grimace and head shake. Another regular walks over and begins talking to him and we play the typical I'm-the-shit-and-I-know-it-so-I'm-going-to-be-a-douchebag-routine, it's fun to role play every now and again. Arms around each other shoulders we walked off from the bar, apparently leaving the two Asian women he had been drinking with behind, and moved on to find his next prey. We run into another two girls who he also knew (apparently he had tagged most of the women there already) and after the usual introductions we began chatting to the different ladies. As he was talking to his lady friend I decided to practice my Chinese and began talking to the other girl about how silly Justin was and my preference of Chinese culture to American culture at which time I told her I was only here in Taiwan to study Chinese and I buddied up with Justin to joke around and have some fun. I enlightened her about my darling girlfriend back in the States where she seemed pleasantly surprised to find out that not all Americans were pigs looking to stuff their sausages into anything with two legs. After our conversation we said our goodbyes and both ladies leaving Justin only with a confused grin and eyes on the next prize. Since I hadn't seen my friends for quite some time I decided it was time to end the role play and find my friends. I bid Justin farewell, who seemed a bit sad to lose his wingman and fellow American Bro, and made my way to the stage.

As everyone collected around the stage the DJ began mixing some oldies together with electronic beats and his transitions moved so smoothly from song to song. But again that could be the alcohol and drugs speaking. One thing I know for certain in that these fire dancers had some serious skills and knew how to put on one hell of a show. Please excuse the camera work in the first video, there was absolutely no way I wasn't going to dance and groove to ABC by the Jackson Five.





Fulong Rock Festival


The day after the Taichung LuvStock Johnny and I traveled to Fulong with a few friends to listen to the Rock Festival taking place on the beach. A few different bands played during the evening, but everyone was waiting for the main show. MayDay was the main even, the biggest band in Taiwan and everyone went crazy as soon as they came on.





Babe18


This all you can drink club wasn't one of the best (anywhere near it), but it offered some mediocre music and a stage show that wasn't something I had experience before. The main catch of the club was the free alcohol which would make any club into a sausage fest. Plus no guys could dance on stage! What kind of malarky is that!?



Luxy


One of the more popular clubs in Taiwan. Featuring a few stages that girls AND guys could dance on, which I took full advantage of once I had arrived already a bit intoxicated. Luxy featured two different shows. The first was an eye stunning laser show with a few guys wearing light up suits and carrying lasers. The second was your typical eye candy show with voluptuous Asian women strutting their stuff on stage.





No comments:

Post a Comment